Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Human Touch

Trivia fascinates me. I compulsively collect bits of data and useless information. When it comes to finding the paperwork for the car registration, I’m clueless. However, if you ever need a piece of Trivial Pursuit pie or the question to an answer that will only appear on Jeopardy, I can probably help you. One area where I’ve found the greatest minutiae-based achievement is that of Disney movies. I know every song lyric, most dialogue, and enough back story details to make my own special features DVD. So pronounced is the fixation that I even wrote my Master’s thesis on the “narrative elements of the Quest story as presented in Disney animated features.” No kidding. And one of the best things about Disney animation is the animals-and-things-that-seem-like people anthropomorphism. The scissor-wielding mice from Cinderella amuse me and the randy candlestick from Beauty and the Beast is an eye-rolling favorite. But the most swoon-worthy character of all is that sly fox, Robin Hood. His skill with the bow, dry wit, British accent and noble cause make my heart flutter. This technique is so engaging that, at times, it is easy to forget what you’re watching is truly impossible. The same thing happens in Kidsbooks’ The Giraffe Numbers Book when a whole tower (the honest-to-goodness name for a group of giraffes) of the long-necked set do some really people-y things like sun bathing and riding in limousines. I draw the line at “put toys on the shelf,” though--most humans don’t even do that.

4 comments: