Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Friday, December 17, 2010

What's The Big Deal?

A few years ago, some gals at church got upset over a Carl’s Jr. commercial showing a sexy girl picking up a hitchhiking guy and then dripping burger fixin’s all over herself. True, not exactly G-rated, but it hardly seemed worth mounting an all-out boycott, letter-writing campaign. Yet, that is just what happened. And I spent half my time around these women mystified at their misplaced (I thought) zeal on the issue, and the other half being chastised for not being righteous enough to be on their side. Which was not unusual. This may surprise you, but I’m not known for subtlety. I know, hard to believe, but true. Oh, I don’t think you should say things solely for the purpose of upsetting other people, but I do think calling things what they are is under-rated. The phrase you’re trying to think of is “Does not play well with others.” But, I do. Just a select group of others. That kind of thing may have started when I was really young and the “Joey Incident” occurred. You may not remember it, but it made a big impression on me. Basically, when Archie Bunker’s grandson Joey was born, a doll soon followed. An anatomically correct doll. And everyone lost their minds. Even though I was only nine years old, I thought the hoopla was pretty extreme. And so it goes. In Vicky Ceelen’s Baby Nose To Baby Toes, there’s a naked baby hiney. I hope the church ladies don’t see it.

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Nose-Toes-Vicky-Ceelen/dp/037584208X

http://www.randomhouse.com/author/results.pperl?authorid=74849

No comments:

Post a Comment