Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Bright Lights, Big City

When Connor was a toddler, a woman approached me at the park one day and asked if I had ever considered putting him in commercials or print work. Now, I thought all my children were the most beautiful babies ever and that Hollywood should come knocking at our door all the time, but I didn’t expect it to literally happen. Sort of. The woman in the park was from Sacramento, not Hollywood, but she did have a modeling agency and was interested in representing Connor--who, admittedly, was a really striking child. So, always thinking I should put my kids in magazines and movies but never considering the logistics of it, I had some pondering to do. Would it be a sound choice? Would he benefit from it? Was this tied up in my ego rather than something I would truly want for him, or he for himself? I decided to check the place out, bundling Connor and some head shots into the car and driving to the agency in Sacramento. But it was miserable--hot, crowded, one-way streets winding forever, and impossible to find the place. Once we were there and she saw Connor’s pictures, she said she could put him to work the next day, but most of the work would be in San Francisco and we’d have to commute there. Which was the end of Connor’s short modeling career. In Norman Bridwell’s Clifford Goes To Hollywood, the big, red dog tries the bright lights…but comes home in the end.

http://www.amazon.com/Clifford-Goes-Hollywood-Norman-Bridwell/dp/0590442899

http://www.kidsreads.com/authors/au-bridwell-norman.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment