Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Other Side Of The Mirror

I really like alternate universe stuff. Something about the idea of everything turning on its head, everything different in a no-holds-barred way, where it’s just temporary and no one will get sad or hurt because you can come back to the real universe where things are normal any time, is appealing to me. But I only like alternate universes where people see audacious, cool, interesting versions of themselves--I like to entertain the thought that maybe they could take a bit of that spark back to their real universe and change what they find less than amazing. And by “they” I probably mostly mean “me.” I have outrageous kids and I’ve played outrageous characters, but I myself could really only be considered outrageous in some throw-caution-to-the-wind mirror realm where breaking the rules is considered the rule. Then I could be very interesting. But, alas, I have as yet never encountered a worm hole, or black hole, or secret closet panel, or magic talisman that opened the doorway to a place with people that look like all of us but aren’t quite us. I keep looking, so there may be hope for a what-got-into-you me yet. In Liza Donnelly’s Dinosaur Beach, a boy and his dog travel to a faraway stretch of sand where the sauruses of all shape and size have come to sunbathe…and build sandcastles of the people they think don’t exist anymore. Everyone else is too scared to try the alternate universe. And they are the less-amazing for it.

http://www.amazon.com/Dinosaur-Beach-Liza-Donnelly/dp/059042176X

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liza_Donnelly

No comments:

Post a Comment