Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Friday, December 24, 2010

Bump In The Night

The summer after graduation was particularly warm, even for Southern California, and people kept their windows and screen doors open more often and more casually than usual. Which is how Richard Ramirez, the “Nightstalker,” walked right into a dozen houses, wreaking unimaginable havoc. Everyone was scared, I was terrified. For hours every sleepless night, the only way I could get any rest was to creep into my brother’s room and curl up on his floor--my younger brother, to give you some perspective. So, when my usually harmless prankster boyfriend got what he thought was a funny idea, he should have reconsidered. One night when I thought he was home, he snuck to my house and hid near the front door. Home alone, I felt like I kept hearing something outside but dismissed it as paranoia. Finally, when I was too scared to stay by myself any longer, I decided to brave the six foot distance between the main house and my brother’s space in the converted garage so that I would have company. As I stepped onto the porch, the mischievous boy who wouldn’t hurt a fly jumped out of the bushes and I started screaming. And screaming. Screaming until I had no voice and was blind with panic. Poor boy was so contrite I doubt he ever tried to scare anyone ever again. In the Berenstains’ In The Dark, Brother gets more than he bargained for when he tries to scare Sister. Hopefully, everyone learns their lesson from these things.

http://www.amazon.com/Berenstain-Bears-Dark-First-Books/dp/0394854438

http://www.berenstainbears.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment