Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Under Pressure

Did you ever have something you were dying to say but knew you shouldn’t? As a lifelong super yakker, this rarely happens to me…because I just say whatever it is without proper consideration and regret it at leisure. As hypocritical as it sounds because I readily admit that I speak without thinking sometimes, I really hate it when other people do it. Really hate it. I recently had an encounter with a colleague that still has my nose out of joint. This person and I not only have the same employer, but a previously-existing social relationship of six years that has been nothing but pleasant…until two days ago. Apparently, I have been doing something this colleague is extremely annoyed by for a few weeks (or maybe semesters, I’m not quite sure) and they reached the tipping point where the interior that-bugs-me monologue becomes an external bite-your-head-off monologue. I was surprised, chagrined, embarrassed, and angry. In that order. And I’m having trouble letting it go, as my husband will attest. After a couple of hours ranting about it, he finally told me that most people are bad at confrontation and the majority of the population employs the “summon the courage and blurt” method once they need to get something off their chest. He’s right, I know he is. But still… In Carl Norac’s I Love You So Much, a squirrel girl wakes up with something to say but has to wait all day and finally “blurts.” It can happen to anybody.

http://www.amazon.com/I-Love-You-So-Much/dp/0440417449

http://www.panmacmillan.com/authors%20Illustrators/displayPage.asp?PageTitle=Individual%20Contributor&ContributorID=71593&RLE=Author

No comments:

Post a Comment