Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Buyer's Remorse

I’ve been thinking about getting my hair cut lately, but I know if I do I won’t like it. It’s not so much that I can never be satisfied (claims of voices from the past notwithstanding), it’s just that I immediately realize all the great things about the way things were--even though I couldn’t come up with any then. If I chop my hair off because I can’t stand the sheer presence of it, I instantly want to braid or bun or ponytail it and can’t. If I whack some bangs with the idea of framing my face for a better look, I can’t bear the claustrophobia of all that hair in my eyes. It goes on and on. Trust me, anyone in my life for about five minutes can attest to how neurotic and annoying it is. And it’s even more frustrating for me. I most often just end up wishing I had kept things the way they were to begin with. If you’ve ever been the muscle for someone who gets a burning desire to rearrange the furniture into ten different configurations before deciding the room looks best the way it was when you started, you probably know how that feels (and have contemplated homicide). I guess that kind of angst happens to you no matter who you are. In Laurent de Brunhoff’s Babar’s Picnic, Queen Celeste is looking for the perfect picnic spot. It turns out she didn’t need to look any further than her own backyard.

http://www.amazon.com/Babars-Picnic-Laurent-Brunhoff/dp/0394805828

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurent_de_Brunhoff

No comments:

Post a Comment