Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Español Made Easy

Scarlett can count to ten. In Spanish. And we didn’t teach her. Dora did. We certainly recognize the importance of multiple communication paths around here--Scarlett hears different versions of words all the time and we weren’t surprised when she readily picked up sign language as an infant--but it caught me off guard when she busted from uno to diez without any formal coaching from us. Miss Explorer and her crew did a bang-up job of doing their job--the kid knows English…and Spanish, too. How ‘bout you? So, keeping with this new-found ability, I’ve been trying to give her more Spanish vocabulary, at least as much as I know from growing up in California. And it seems to be working. When I told her that a little girl at dance class had a “mariposa” barrette in her hair, I heard Scarlett behind me in the carseat repeating it to herself for storage and retrieval. Then she started whispering, “abra open, cierra closed.” I guess she figured she would pull out all the stops since she was on a roll. It’s pretty fascinating to watch how effortless the process is when it is allowed to progress naturally stress-free. And I guess it makes sense--to small people, every word sounds like a foreign language at first. Susan Middleton Elya decided to make basic Spanish vocabulary fun to learn in her engaging rhyming book Say Hola To Spanish. It’s such a good time, we read it three times. Or should I say tres veces?


http://www.amazon.com/Hola-Spanish-Susan-Middleton-Elya/dp/1880000644

http://www.susanelya.com/files/home.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment