Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Friday, September 3, 2010

An Apple A Day

It is interesting, and vindicating for moms, to see how often wives’ tales and superstitions are shown to have real-world application and scientific benefit. For instance, it is wise not to walk under a ladder not just because it is bad luck, but also because ladders can come tumbling down on unsuspecting heads, sometimes bringing heavy things, including people, with them. You get the idea. An especially useful piece of folk wisdom is the one about eating apples and keeping doctors away. In times before common nutrition knowledge and readily available medical care, staying healthy was not only smart but absolutely necessary. I like apples in most forms--sauce, pie, sliced, dried--but I’ve never really known much about them. Since Scarlett and I have been working together at home, we began at the beginning with “A,” which naturally led to paying attention to apples this week. And even though Scarlet is the student, I’ve learned a ton. Did you know that the channels where apples keep their seeds are called carpels? Or that over 250 million bushels of apples are grown in just the United States every year? Apples, which seem so American, are not native to this country, and all apples, despite their seeming variety, are some combination of red, yellow, and/or green. Fascinating. Well, it has been for me, anyway. In Apples, written by the number one children’s nonfiction writer Gail Gibbons, I found out why apples are such a big deal. I think I’ll go have a snack.

P.S. Happy Anniversary, Oba and Grandpa Dan!

http://www.amazon.com/Apples-Gail-Gibbons/dp/0823416690

http://www.gailgibbons.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment