Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Say, Say, Oh Playmate...




Why is it that when I sit down at the computer Scarlett can’t be close enough to me and won’t leave me alone for a second, but in the store she becomes a whirling dervish lightning streak I can’t keep track of? Case in point: Trying to do the taxes, she is on my lap with her foot in my face but at the thrift store looking for books, she climbs onto a chair placed inexplicably on top of a dining room table in the furniture section. I think it’s because childhood, like real estate, has three important things to consider: Attention, attention, attention. She needs something to do and, more importantly, someone to do it with. On Mondays and Wednesdays when I work all day and into the night, Daddy and Scarlett are partners in crime for long hours and most of the attention duty falls to my sweet husband--including reading a book to the baby for Mommy’s overly ambitious blog project. I think this whole attention thing may have prompted Nick to choose Who Will Play With Little Dinosaur? by Leslie McGuire for last night‘s reading. It’s a snapshot of every child’s major dilemma: How can I find someone to drop everything and focus exclusively on me? Little Dinosaur is all cute and endearing and hard to resist, especially with one lonely tear rolling down his Jurassic cheek. Coincidentally, Little Scarlett is pretty hard to resist herself--but I’m not laying an egg to provide her with a friend.

http://www.worldcat.org/title/who-will-play-with-little-dinosaur/oclc/18225519


http://lesliemcguire.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment