Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Bait and Switch!



You know how sometimes you make a choice thinking it’s a good one and then, halfway through, you can’t remember why you ever thought it was a good idea? That happens to toddlers, too. Scarlett loves Elmo, but not in a healthy, public-television-is-good-for-my-developing-brain kinda way. No, you could more accurately call Scarlett’s relationship with the scruffy red muppet say-his-name-before-I-open-my-eyes-in-the-morning obsession. Scarlett wants all Elmo, all the time in multi-media format--she watches him On Demand thumbing through an Elmo’s Good Manners board book while singing along with him on Sesame Street.org as she waits for the day’s new episode to start on PBS. I’m telling you: obsessed. So, when given a choice of books to read for the night, she went, like a guided missile, for the Little Golden Book I Think That It Is Wonderful and Other Poems From Sesame Street, thinking, naturally, that Elmo would make an appearance. Sadly, the book was published a year before her dad was even born in about 1 B.E. (Before Elmo), meaning that, even though she asked for him multiple times per (rather boring) poetry-covered page, there was no Elmo to be had. This did not sit well, and neither did she. Before I could even finish reading the one about being new on the street, Elmo’s erstwhile love was signing and saying, “done.” I’m going to count it because I had the best intentions, but she may think twice the next time she gets lured by the siren song of Sesame Street.

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/I_Think_That_It_Is_Wonderful_%28book%29

2 comments:

  1. Darrian loved a Sesame Street book with flaps. The book was already worn when it was handed down to us, and more so by the time he was too old for the book. Yea Sesame Street! Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our copy of Elmo's Good Manners has a perfect bite out of the spine. I have no idea which kid did it but it looks like it's supposed to be there!

    ReplyDelete