Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Daddy's Girl


I took her into the bedroom with the books she had never read before. She softly walked over to the bookshelf and glanced back at me, as if for reassurance. I responded with a smile and sent her the psychic message to choose a story for us to share. Like Indiana Jones choosing the grail, she chose wisely--a book marred by age and wear amidst shining pretty things.
When I first sat down with her and looked at the book’s title, Farm Morning, I felt that I was in for another round of “the cow says moo.” I was instead surprised by lush art and a touching story that reminded me very much of my life with Scarlett. I wake with her and I set with her, in between she kicks my wife in the stomach and face all night in our family bed. Whenever I am blessed with time with my daughter, I wish that more people were able to have the opportunity I do. I am lucky, my life is fairly easy and I have learned to be grateful for it. Scarlett brings me back to reality as she is done with the book after two pages and squirms to get away, but I hold tight and create a lovely childhood memory.
The book was about a father’s relationship with his girl, but it was also about finding meaning and beauty in our trivial activities. Every act, every dish cleaned, every sock picked up, every hour worked, every diaper changed can be an act of submission to God. I would like to do this happily, like the duo in Farm Morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment