Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Monday, January 3, 2011

Simply Superb

One of the nice things about starting over in the kid department is getting to spend a lot more time with the caboose baby than you ordinarily would with number four. Having a hubby who is out of school for winter break and starting work later in the day yourself doesn’t hurt either when you are trying to carve out some unstructured family time. This morning all three of us got to sleep in and then we all piled on Scarlett’s big bed and watched “Superman II” with about a hundred blankets and pillows to stay cozy. When those amazing opening credits backed by incredible John Williams music started swooping in, I flashed back to watching the movie in the theater for the first time and how riveted I was. Just about then, the big Kryptonian “S” symbol blazed onto the screen, and Scarlett jumped up shouting, “Just like me! That letter is for our Scarlett!” Which is true. Anytime I see an “s” now, I associate it with my baby. But that also happens to me with the first initial for all my kids. What were just letters to me before I got to meet each of my small people suddenly become specific to very special people, and thus more interesting. In Jane Belk Moncure’s My “s” Sound Box, Little S piles all the things that sound like him in one place. There are shoes and sweaters and socks and even a sandcastle. That’s because “s” is super special.

http://www.amazon.com/My-Sound-Box-New-Books/dp/1567667856

http://www.janebelkmoncure.com/fsrsbbhome.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment