Search This Blog


There's one I want on the top shelf...

Monday, January 17, 2011

Put Up Your Dukes

In an apparent tribute to the days when knights jousted in contest for the favors of fair maidens, Scarlett’s new favorite thing is for us to “fight” over her. As soon as there are two big people who love her in close proximity, she plunks herself in the middle demanding that one person “hold my feet” and the other “hold my hands.” Then she gives the final direction: “Now say ‘mine’.” So, we grab hold of the proffered bits and begin an epic mock battle for Scarlett Supremacy. We pull back and forth, hollering out our claims to her, until someone finally “wins” and gets the baby for their own until the next round. And she squeals with maniacal laughter the whole time. Since kid reaction is usually pretty authentic, there must be some primal need we have to know that we’re worth fighting for. And since parents are the ones most heavily tasked with meeting the needs of their children, we spend much of our parenting time doing just that. We feed them and house them and clothe them, sure, but we also take care of their spirits, even when they’ve grown. I have one “baby” who’s older now than I was when I had her, but I still worry every day about her happiness. And I always will. In Sam McBratney’s Let’s Play In The Snow, a mama rabbit gives it her best to tell her baby bunny all the ways she loves him. He really likes that.

http://www.amazon.com/Lets-Play-Snow-Guess-Storybook/dp/0763641081

http://www.answers.com/topic/sam-mcbratney

No comments:

Post a Comment